What do the electoral programs on the environment foresee: respect for European commitments, cut C02 and stop water waste
The very hot summer that is delivering its last blows has made it clear how urgent it is to prepare countermeasures to try to reverse the course. The last five years have seen the explosion of issues related to the environment and the climate crisis , also thanks to the media impact triggered by the movement led by the very young Greta Thunberg.
How do the parties and coalitions that will compete on September 25 plan to manage environmental issues? Let's go find out
“THE ENVIRONMENT, A PRIORITY”: THE PROGRAM OF THE CENTER RIGHT
The environment is a priority. In this way, the center-right approaches climate issues. The conservatives have as their first objective the respect of the “international commitments undertaken by Italy (on the contrary, the League, in its party program, often aims at a revision of the agreements). We continue with the proposal to define a national circular economy plan that also includes waste management , to safeguard the quality of maritime and inland waters and to improve the efficiency of water networks in order to limit dispersion. The League proposes to program works and interventions capable of securing the water supply in the country by creating small and medium-sized storage basins . The center-right also proposes to proceed with the "planting of trees throughout the country, particularly in areas affected by fires or natural disasters" and to work on environmental education. The last point is dedicated to "public transport" which must be encouraged and the promotion of "sustainable urban mobility". Fratelli d'Italia describes his plan for the protection of the environment starting from a quote from Ortega Y Gasset: “ I am me plus my environment and if I don't preserve it, I don't preserve myself ”. It is to respect this purpose that Giorgia Meloni's party proposes, among other things, to:
- achieve the objectives of the environmental and ecological transition of the NRP by safeguarding the production system hit by years of crisis, with particular attention to industrial chains that are difficult to reconvert (for example, the automotive sector);
- play an active and proactive role in the coming months in Europe during the negotiations of the Fit for 55 package, with the aim of defending and protecting the interests of the national industrial and production system;
- to increase penalties, including pecuniary ones, for arsonists;
- strengthen public transport and sustainable mobility, incentives for energy efficiency in residential and commercial properties;
- promote in Europe the policy of "civilization duties" towards products from non-EU states that do not respect our environmental protection standards;
- protect the landscape and the territory from neglect, abandonment and from seismic and hydrogeological risks;
- close the waste cycle and introduction of the principle according to which “the more you differentiate, the less you pay”.
In terms of the environment, the Democratic Party sets "realistic but ambitious" objectives (following the provisions of the " European FitFor55 package, with its goal of reducing net greenhouse gas emissions by at least 55% by 2030 and reaching climate neutrality by 2050). The ecological and energy transition will not be a gala dinner, the party of Enrico Letta is well aware of this, proposing, to compensate for the social costs that every "revolution" brings with it, "a green tax reform that promotes business investments and families to protect the planet and the climate and make it economically advantageous to accelerate the environmental transition "," the introduction of a tax bonus for companies with high ESG (environmental, social and governance) ratings "and" adequate compensation for families and the most vulnerable companies, as a function of a socially equitable and sustainable ecological transition ". The PD also proposes the implementation of the National Climate Change Adaptation Plan (stopped in 2017), the monitoring and safety of infrastructures, which will have to withstand climate change and a law on land consumption and a series of interventions for the defense of agricultural land use, with a National Plan for water, drought and hydrogeological instability . On the waste management front, regasifiers are accepted as a buffer solution but must be demobilized " well before 2050 ".
VERDI AND ITALIAN LEFT: "WE NEED A LAW FOR CLIMATE"
Environmental issues are at the heart of the Green Europe and the Italian Left program. The first step is " to provide the country with a climate law to be approved in the first hundred days of government, with binding and consistent objectives at all levels (national, regional and local)". Among the priorities are the climate adaptation works to be carried out by making the National Plan for Adaptation to Climate Change fully operational, stopped in 2017, within the first six months of the legislature, and by reviewing the objectives of the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (Pnrr) to about. The more environmentalist training also includes "an investment plan against water dispersion, while, for climate justice", Italy's commitment should reach 4 billion a year.
ITALIA VIVA AND ACTION: "REALIZE AN INVESTMENT PLAN FOR NEW WASTE TREATMENT PLANTS"
The centrists of the Calenda – Renzi tandem intend to present a pragmatic approach to environmental issues. First of all, in the energy sector, there is a firm "yes" to gas, to the construction of two regasifiers and to the increase in national production to limit dependence on Russia. The Third Pole also wants to calm the "cost" of CO2 that companies pay until the end of the war in Ukraine . “In order to achieve the objectives of reducing CO2 emissions by 2030, it is therefore necessary to develop alternative tools as of now, such as systems for capturing and storing CO2 produced by thermoelectric power plants”, reads the program. The centrists confirm their adherence to the Fit for 55 scheme (55% reduction in emissions in 2030 compared to 1990) and suggest forgetting the heat generated from renewable sources that are not harmful to the environment The centrists propose to:
- intervene on transport (among the main emitting sectors), favoring the modernization of the truck fleet with incentives and increasing the use of iron;
- relaunch the wood supply chain, an issue that is intertwined with reforestation and "approve a plan for the management of hydrogeological instability";
- recover and build new reservoirs and basins to retain rainwater;
- restructure the Italian water network to reduce losses (currently 40%);
- promote a plan for the reuse of purification water;
- incentivize investments in irrigation systems that reduce water waste.
In the field of waste management, the training of Calenda and Renzi aims, should it prove successful, to "implement an investment plan for new waste treatment plants" to be implemented " by 2035 , for a value of 10 billion euros about ", to use PNRR funds" to create infrastructures that improve the circular economy, for example to increase the recovery of rare earths (WEEE) ", to" add more information on the packaging on the environmental impact of the products on sale " , to "encourage the application of timely pricing for the TARI" by making the principle of "pay as you throw" operational throughout the national territory, according to which those who produce the most waste pay more ", finally proposes to" create a system of rewards for Municipalities that reduce the share of waste not sent for recycling ".
M5S: FOR THE ENVIRONMENT YES TO RETURNABLE VACUUM, NO TO DRILLS AND INCINERATORS
The M5S deals with environmental policies in the chapters “ On the side of the environment: for the energy and ecological transition and the protection of biodiversity ” and “ On the side of regeneration: for the circular economy ”. The pentastellati proposals want, on the one hand, to reduce consumption, and on the other to change the approach to waste management. The following are the proposals of the program:
- 2000 watt society: strive for a sustainable model of energy consumption to reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions;
- Regenerative economy, for a system no longer based only on growth but also on social regeneration, of the territory, of consumption;
- Stop to obsolete technologies for waste construction of plants completely compatible with the European requirements and non-polluting, aimed at improving environmental performance;
- Promotion of returnable emptiness;
- Completion of the geological map to map the territory and prevent hydrogeological instability;
- Stop to new drilling and new incinerators.
This is a machine translation from Italian language of a post published on Start Magazine at the URL https://www.startmag.it/energia/ambiente-tutte-le-proposte-di-partiti-e-coalizioni-in-vista-delle-elezioni-2022/ on Thu, 22 Sep 2022 07:42:48 +0000.